Saturday 12 November 2011

Landscape lunacy

I was at a loose end, as I often am, when a friend suggested I should help him with his landscaping business. "Great" I said, out in the fresh air, keeping fit, at one with nature, sure what more could you want. Everything went great for the first week, and I was seriously contemplating making a career in the world of landscaping. My mate was delighted with my unbridled, genuine enthusiasm for the job, and congratulated me on my willingness to tackle any task he threw at me. He said I was proving to be a valuable asset to the company. Silvio was chuffed. Then he suggested I accompany him, to acquire a key element for a job we were going to do the following day. He told me to hitch up the trailer, and jump in the van. I did what I was told and we headed to a secret location in Wicklow. The secret location turned out to be a farm yard, with the biggest pile of shite I had ever seen in my life piled in one corner. The boss reversed into the pile at speed, with the tailgate down on the trailer. Then he told me to run up the pile and start shovelling. I did as I was told and ran up the mound until I was knee deep in excrement. Then as I started to shovel, a pungent, lord of the rings, mystic like steam began to envelope me. The stink was eye-watering. It was at that juncture that I decided to terminate my landscaping career as I shouted, "F@*k this, you can shovel your own shite!!", and with that Silvio hastily made for the farm gate making sure not to upset the farmer on the way out. That was way too close to nature for Silvio's liking. I'll never forget that job or the stink associated with it!!.

No comments:

Post a Comment