Thursday 13 October 2011

East Berlin

Herr Grabosch drove me from Nurnberg to East Berlin in his 4x4 at a steady 100mph.The journey was punctuated by slugs from a Jagermeister bottle, and comments about how marvellous the autobahn's were. I think we stopped once for a piss, god knows I needed one, after the amount of weiss-beer I consumed the previous night. When I got to East Berlin I hooked up with two bricklayers and a plasterer, who were going to help me build a basement for a timber framed house. The client was a Eurovision fan, who thought the sun shone out of Johnny Logans arse. And that my friends is were the proverbial shit hit the fan!!. Herr Grabosch handed me the plans and quickly drove off down the autobahn. Just about the same time, we realised that all info on the drawings was in German, unfortunately nobody had considered doing a crash course in German before they flew over. This problem was further exacerbated when deliveries of the wrong materials started to arrive. The delivery drivers insisted on leaving them on site, saying Herr Grabosch had ordered them. We couldn't argue even if we wanted too. The Johnny Logan fan wasn't too happy when Herr Grabosch ordered a lean mix concrete for the ring-beam and we barrowed it in to the formwork. Needless to say the whole lot had to be removed, but by then I was already half way through my fifth bottle of weiss-beer and enthusiastically singing the chorus of 'What's another year?'. That was one crap job I'll never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment